Share the Love
Initially launched on St Dwynwen’s Day during the lockdown in early 2021, Share the Love was created as Newport Live and the Riverfront wanted to help everyone keep happy and well and share love and kindness throughout the Newport area.
The project involved sending out wellbeing packs to support people who were isolated to help them get creative and stay active, and also sharing a range of digital assets from some of our partners across Newport who helped us to Share the Love. We also asked the public to get creative on the theme of 'May Love Be What You Remember Most' and received lots of wonderful submissions including artwork, poetry and dance. You can view the submissions we recieved here.
Share the Love is a project that is being run by Newport Live's Art's and Community Sport & teams and has been made possible thanks to the donations recieved from our members and customers as well as funding from Sport Wales. To find about more about how you can support us and projects like these visit our Support Us page.
Share the Love 2022
As part of Share the Love we will be displaying a range of artwork in The Riverfront's Mezannine Gallery including the artwork recieved last year in response to the theme 'May Love Be What You Remember Most,' and Kate Mercer's exhibition 'Make Do & Mend' which launches on Monday 14 February.
Started in March 2020 (during the first lockdown of 2020), 'Make Do and Mend' is a series of patchwork quilts which explore ideas of wrapping, warming and protection. Specifically, these patchwork quilts are made from recycled cotton fabrics, repurposed into something that warms and comforts those they wrap around.Find out More
Join our exhibition!
The Riverfront would like you to get involved in our current exhibition ‘Make Do & Mend’ by Kate Mercer.
We would like to showcase your images and writing in our Mezzanine Gallery space alongside Kate’s work.
Submissions on the theme of ‘Make Do & Mend’ can be dropped off at The Riverfront or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here's a beautiful poem titled 'Make Do & Mend'
As part of Share the Love 2022 we will again be creating and distributing wellbeing packs to individuals and groups in the community in order to help them stay connected to the arts and creativity.
If you would like to nominate someone special to recieve a pack, maybe they have had a tough year and you want to cheer them up, maybe they are always looking out for others and you want to give them something for a change, or maybe you know of someone who is unable to get out in person, please email email@example.com and we will do what we can to help!
Random Acts of Kindness
Instead of just celebrating Random Act of Kindness Day on Thursday 17th February we have decided to make February Random Act of Kindness month!
Pop along to The Riverfront this February and you may be one of the lucky few who benefit from a Random Act of Kindness from our team.
On Friday 4 February we need your help to decide who deserves a random act of kindness! Pop over to our Facebook page and nominate who you think deserves a random act of kindness and they could win a pair of tickets to a show of their choice.
Share the Love - Helping you on a rainy day!
‘Surround yourself with positive people who will support you when it rains not just when it shines’ – Anonymous
Newport Live customers can collect an umbrella for FREE from reception at any one of our centres between the 14th of February - 30th of April 2022 and are encouraged to pass it on to a friend, a partner, a colleague, or a passer-by that needs shelter from the rain.
The recipient of the umbrella will be able to claim an adult fitness membership at the reduced price of £28 per month if they join before the 30th of April 2022. Simply bring the umbrella back to our centres at the time of joining to qualify for the reduced rate, handing the umbrella back to us enable us to continue to pay it forward and Share the Love.
Customers are encouraged to take a picture, video or boomerang with their umbrella and post it to social media to be in with the chance of winning a fitness tracker, don’t forget to tag @NewportLiveUK and use the hashtag #ShareTheLove.
Terms and Conditions: Only one entry per person; duplicate entries will not be considered. One adult winner will receive a fitness prize through the prize drawer of a fitness tracker. Normal Membership terms & conditions apply which can be viewed at newportlive.co.uk/terms-conditions. The prize is not transferable, and no cash alternative will be offered. Travel expenses associated with this prize are not included. To qualify for the draw, you must purchase a monthly, 3 month or yearly Newport Live Adult Fitness membership between the 14th of February 2022 and the 30th of April 2022 via the Newport Live website, by calling 01633 656757 or at reception of any Newport Live venue. The winner will be selected at random from all qualifying entrants by Newport Live and contacted by phone or email within 72 hours of the draw with details on how to claim the prize. If the winner cannot be reached within 7 days, Newport Live reserves the right to re-select the winner at random from all other qualifying entrants. Entries received after the closing date and time will not be accepted. Incomplete entries will not be eligible for the prize draw. You also agree that if you are one of the winners that we can use your details in publicising the result of the competition, including using your name. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01633 656757 if you would prefer us not to do this. There are limited stocks of umbrellas, therefore this promotion may end early. The competition is open to members of Newport Live staff, volunteers, Directors, or their immediate families. Newport Live reserves the right to withdraw or amend the competition at any time without prior notice.
Calendar of Kindness
Each day throughout February we challenge you to complete a different activity linked to kindness and wellness!
- Feed the birds - Have a go at turning some materials you have laying around the house into a bird feeder, or simply scatter some seeds in your garden.
- Register to volunteer - Volunteering doesnt have to be a big time consuming task. There are some quick and easy actions you can take that will make a big difference.
- Litter pick on your street - Make a difference by helping to keep you street and community tidy. Each small item you pick up counts.
- Plant some seeds for spring - Get your garden ready for spring and plant some beautiful flowers or tasty vegetables
- Donate unused IT equipment - if you have unused IT laying around consider donating it to a new home where it will be used.
- Donate to a food bank - Food banks are still open and accepting donations to help a family or individual in need.
- Support a local business - Local butchers and greengrocers are still open for business, or have a look online at a local business' website.
- Display a heart in your window - Share the Love by displaying a heart in your window. You could draw one, make one, display an item you already have, be as creative as you like!
- Go to bed early - there are so many reasons why going to bed that little bit earlier is good for your health and wellbeing.
- Write a gratitude list - have a think about what you are greatful for and jot them down.
- Have a long bath or shower - there are actually a lot of health benefits associated with taking time out and having a long soak!
- Declutter your bedroom - it may seem like a big task, but take some time out and declutter those boxes and cupboards you have been neglecting.
- Write a Twinning letter - find your address twin and write them a letter!
- Call someone you’ve not spoken to in a while - pick up the phone and have a catch up call with someone.
- Send a card to a friend - Spread some cheer and post a card to a friend of your choice.
- Organise a virtual quiz night - engage those brain cells and organise a quiz night. You might learn a random new fact!
- Do some Tai Chi with Deb - join Newport Live's Deb for a class on breath-work and mindfulness to support mental and physical wellbeing.
- Learn to juggle - learn a new skill to impress your friends and family with
- Do some Zumba with Mandy - join Newport Live's Mandy for a fun and easy workout with musical rhythms and tantalizing moves.
- Dance to your favourite song - put on your favourite tune and dance around your house!
- Create with Art Clwb - Join Naz of Ziba Creative and take part in one of her simple but fun craft projects
- Dance with Ballet Cymru - Learn to dance with Ballet Cymru!
- Be inspired to create some art - Create some art inspired by CONSUMERSMITH's piece May Love Be What You Remember Most
- Be part of a panto - ever wanted to be part of a panto? Well now you can, all via Zoom!
- Cook dinner for your family - why not show off your culinary skills by cooking for your family this evening
- Try a new recipe - try something new! It could be a meal or even a sweet treat, get experimenting.
- Eat 5 different fruits and vegetables - Can you eat 5 different fruits and vegetables today?
- Enjoy a yummy treat - Treat yourself, you deserve it
There are a number of organisations you can contact if you need supporting including: