Swimming lessons are on offer at all four swimming pools at our three Newport Live venues: the Active Living Centre, the Regional Pool and Tennis Centre at NISV and the Newport Centre. Newport Live follows the Amateur Swimming Association (ASA) National Plan for Teaching Swimming (NPTS), which aims to provide high quality swimming lessons within a safe environment as well as providing children and adults with an "experience through aquatics."
The NPTS is an all-inclusive programme which takes the nonswimmer from his/her first splash to developing confidence and competence in water. The NPTS is a national syllabus for aquatics, which equips learn to swim providers with the training and tools to deliver a multi aquatic, multi skill programme. Once children have completed their core range of skills required to be confident, competent and safe in water within the swimming lesson programme, they have the opportunity to develop their aquatic skills further through a variety of avenues.
Home Portal will allow parents to track their child's progress against the set criteria for their current Stage of swimming lessons along with moving their child's class once they have successfully passed their designated stage.
To register for Home Portal you will need:
- Your child's date of birth.
- Either an email address or postcode matching that recorded in our database.
- You will then have the option to register all children using the same email address.
- An activation email will be sent. Upon receiving this email activate the account following the on-screen instructions. Parents will be able to track their child's progress against set criteria as well as monitoring remaining sessions for each individual.
To access Home Portal please use the below link:
- Led by a qualified instructor, these classes are an ideal opportunity for parents to introduce young children to basic water skills in a safe and fun environment.
Pre-Ducklings: Prerequisite = 3 years old
- This introduces children to a structured activity within the aquatic environment, with the assistance of parents in the water. Children will learn very basic floatation and submersion skills. In addition, this will build confidence in readiness for the child to begin their structured “learn to swim” lesson programme.
Stage 1: Prerequisite = achieved Duckling 3 Award
- Basic safety awareness, basic movement skills and water confidence skills. Swimmers may use aids such as a float etc.
Stage 2: Prerequisite = move from Stage 1
- Safe entries to water including jumping, basic floating, travel and rotation to gain upright position unaided. Travel 5 metres on front and back unaided.
Stage 3: Prerequisite = move from Stage 2
- Safe entries including submersion, travel up to 10 metres on front and back (unaided), progress rotation skills and water safety knowledge.
Stage 4: Prerequisite = move from Stage 3
- Developing an understanding of buoyancy through a range of skills including sculling, refining kicking technique for all strokes and swimming 10 metres to an expected standard as directed by the ASA.
Stage 5: Prerequisite = move from Stage 4
- Developing a variety of aquatic skills including sculling and treading water and complete rotation in the water.
- Performing 10 metres of all four strokes to standards as directed by the ASA.
Stage 6: Prerequisite = move from Stage 5
- Developing effective swimming skills, including co-ordinated breathing, developing water safety aspects and understanding of preparation for exercise.
- Introduction to lifesaving shout, signal rescue and swimming 25 metres of choice stroke.
Stage 7: (Swimming) Prerequisite = move from Stage 6
- Further develop stroke technique and swimming stamina over increased distances. Introduction of competitive swimming skills including starts, turns and finishes in all of the four main strokes. (Delivered in Swim Club academies).
Stage 7 (Rookie Lifesaving): Prerequisite = move from Stage 6
- Children will learn numerous new lifesaving skills including life support, water safety, recognised lifesaving rescue techniques, water safety education, resuscitation and lifesaving strokes.
Stage 7 (Swimming & Water Polo Club): Prerequisite = move from Stage 6
- Learn and develop a variety of water polo skills including water polo specific swimming strokes, technique for catching and throwing, treading water and ball skills. (Delivered in Water Polo Club)
1 to 1 Swimming Lessons
1 to 1 Swim Lessons are offered at all four pools and are ideal if your child needs additional swim instruction to complement their existing lessons or as an alternative to the weekly swim lesson programme. Contact your local pool for more details.
Swimming Lessons for Children with specific needs
We also offer lessons for those children with specific needs, for further information please contact your local pool for more details.
Adult Swim Lessons
Conquer your fears and begin doing all those aquatic sports you have always wanted to do. Age should not be a barrier if you want to learn to swim, that is why there is no age restrictions on classes. Our programmes are designed for adults who lack water confidence and are non-swimmers. We also cater for confident swimmers who want to improve their technique and also work on additional skills and stamina.