Happy and healthy at home
Physical activity, exercise, keeping fit and engaging people in the arts and creativity is central to all we do here at Newport Live. In this difficult time we may not be able to support you in person, but we are committed to supporting you and your well being at home as much as we can.
Until we are able to welcome you all back to Newport Live venues safely, we want to provide you with information online that will help you to stay fit and healthy, support positive physical and mental wellbeing and inspire creativity whilst at home.
This will include:
Working with our fitness team to record some easy and fun home workout videos suitable for all abilities. These videos will be recorded by members of our regular class leaders and will include tips on how you can get involved safely, at your own pace and at a time convenient for you.
Sharing frequent hints, tips and ideas on how to stay healthy and active without leaving home
Sharing free resources you can take part in and create along with simple tips to help take up a new hobby while stuck at home
Sharing links to performances, shows and arts activities which can be streamed and enjoyed online
happy and healthy at home resources
- Warm up routine - always make sure you warm up safely and comfortably before taking part in any physical activity
- Eccentric training - here is a short circuit routine featuring sit ups, press ups and squats
- HIIT & Core workout - a great HIIT and Core Workout for two ability levels
- Low Intensity workout - great low intensity workout for those with health issues or NERS patients
- FitSteps Cha Cha - A lively, fun and cheeky dance with lots of hip movement. Suitable for all ages and abilities and you don't need a partner. You will have so much fun you won't even realise you are getting fit!
- FitSteps Passo Doble - A modern ballroom PassoDoble with our Mandy. Give us a fierce powerful facial expression like you mean business with this one - Embrace the character! No partner necessary, though do encourage the whole household to get involved! Keep the intensity to where you are comfortable.
- FitSteps American Smooth - Grab your umbrella folks for a little rendition of 'Singing in the rain' with our instructor Mandy! This is a lovely low intensity FitSteps track with a little bit of resistance on the upper body, and a firm favourite with the Thursday morning ladies.
- FitSteps Salsa - Join in and Salsa with Mandy! This is a great simple introduction to Salsa that you can do from your own living room.
- FitSteps Jive - Another amazing routine brought you by our FitSteps Queen Mandy - Not to tricky and make it as high or as low impact as you chose. Go bust a 'Rocky Robin'
- Zumba - A short 3 minute routine to release your inhibitions with Zumba and dance free! Great for all ages and abilities!
- Zumba Bollywood - Zumba BollyWood brought to your living room by Newport Live! Accessories are optional but why not make the most of it and get dressed up if you have a penny belt. This is low to medium intensity track great for all abilities. 'Shake it out!'
- Zumba Remix - If some of you came along to our International Womens Day event at The Riverfront you may know some of these routines. It's 7:30 minutes, so plenty of time to get the heart rate up and bust a few moves. Great for all ages and abilities.
- Yoga Routine 1 - Our Yoga instructor Sam demonstrates a simple Yoga workout that you can join in with at home. Perfect for stretching out those stresses. Video 1 of 2
- Yoga Routine - Here is the second half of Sam's Yoga workout.
- Core Yoga - If you're tired of being sat down at home, this is a great one to start engaging that core again and stretching those muscles out. Vinyasa flow yoga, you will breathe, focus, stretch and balance building strength and working on your core.
- Relaxation Routine - All getting a bit too much? Switch off the news for five and put the devices down. Lay on your back, close your eyes and Sam will take you through a meditation to switch off the mind and give you some time away from it all.
- NHS - Take your pick from 24 instructor-led videos across aerobics exercise, strength and resistance, and pilates and yoga categories brought to you by the NHS.
- Stay at Home Challenge - how many keepy upy's can you do with a toilet roll?
- LTA - Tennis skills at home
- Sport Wales - #BeActiveWales - Keeping Wales moving during the Coronavirus crisis, whether you’re looking for gentle exercise or an intense workout.
- Sport England - Tips, advice and guidance on how to keep or get active in and around your home.
- Support for those working in the arts - Our Creative Producer Olivia will be offering coaching sessions/advice and guidance/peer support/chats via Skype/Zoom for anyone in the arts community – just drop her a line to set something up at email@example.com
- Sofa Stage Wales - Newport based artists get creative live on Facebook daily at 3pm, 6pm and 9pm. Previous sessions have included storytime, pub quizzes, live musicians, arts and crafts demonstrations, creative camera techniques and they have even inspected a Bee Hive! If there is anything in particular you would like to see just give the page a message.
- The Show Must Go Online - this site brings together actors from across the globe to perform the complete plays of William Shakespeare online, in the order they are believed to have been written. The plays will be livestreamed on YouTube, every Thursday 7pm.
- Creative Quarantine - a daily email of creative activities and adventures for all ages to do in their own home. Led by a group of artists and creatives who’ve been sent home because of the coronavirus, they want us to continue to be as creative as possible!
- The Stay at Home Festival - Actors and comedians including Jo Brand, Sara Pascoe, Stephen Merchant and many more have launched The Stay at Home Festival, live streaming a mixed bill comedy nights and conversations most days.
- The Social Distancing Festival - an online artist’s community made to celebrate and showcase the work of the many artists around the world who have been affected by the need for social distancing. Many of these pieces were created and rehearsed but unfortunately never got to be performed in front of an audience.
- Filmed on Stage - Streamed versions of Broadway titles.
- Royal Opera House - free opera and ballet from The Royal Opera House #FromOurHouseToYourHouse
- National Theatre - the National Theatre have launched National Theatre at Home and every Thursday at 7pm they will release some of the best of British theatre which can be streamed online for a week
- The Shows Must Go On - A weekly musical from Andrew Lloyd Webber
- Family Theatre Fun - Games, quizzes, storytimes, free educational resources and more from Official London Theatre
- Head for Arts - Online activities, entertainment and support networks that people can engage with from home.
- Fantastic for Families - Arts activities for families to try at home.
- David Walliams Audiobooks - Each day a different audio book from The Worlds Worst Children 3 will be shared online completely for free
- Storytime with Aunty Chris - Aunty Chris reads bilingual stories for preeschool and younger children. Titles so far have included Dear Zoo and We're Going on a Bear Hunt.
- The Body Coach - P.E. lesson with Joe Wicks, every weekday at 9am
- BBC Bitesize - UK curriculum content for primary school through to post 16
- Mystery Science - free, easy science lessons so that you can learn from home
- The Kid Should See This - a collection of 4,300+ kid-friendly videos, curated for teachers and parents who want to share smarter, more meaningful media in the classroom and at home.
- World Geography Games - entertaining, educational quiz games for kids, students, adults and seniors to test and improve their geographical knowledge.
- Duolingo - learn a language for free.
- Blockly Games - a series of educational games that teach programming. It is designed for children who have not had prior experience with computer programming. By the end of these games, players are ready to use conventional text-based languages.
- Tinkercad - free, easy-to-use app for 3D design, electronics, and coding.
- Prodigy Game - engaging, curriculum-aligned math platform.
- Guggenheim - view some of the collection online
- National Gallery of Art - view some of the collection online
- The Vatican Tours - take a virtual tour of part of the Vatican
- Edinburgh Zoo - live webcam from parts of the Zoo
- Disney on Stage - Educational resources
- MIND - advice on taking care of your mental health and wellbeing
- The Mental Health Foundation - tips on sustaining your mental health
- NHS every Mind Matters - guidance, advice and tips on maintaining your mental health from home
- ACAS working for everyone - health and safety advice for working from home
- British Sign Language - learn sign language at home for only £3
- Become a Dementia Friend - A Dementia Friend is somebody that learns about dementia so they can help their community.
- Aneurin Bevan University Health Board - Guidance on the Mental Health/ Well-being impact of coronavirus
Newport Live is a non-profit distribution organisation and charity, which means that all of our surplus income is reinvested back into the organisation to enhance our programmes, facilities, services and to support staff training and development. This would not be possible without your continued support.
We have been asked how you can continue to support us during these times, so if you are able, and would like to continue to support us during our closure, you can do so by visiting our Support Us Page.